VCU Director of the Human Research Protection Program
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) is recruiting for the Director of the Human Research Protection Program position which is housed in the Office of the Vice President for Research & Innovation. This position is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the human subjects’ protection programs, directing and ensuring the University’s compliance with international, federal, state, and university rules, regulations and ethical principles as they relate to research protocols, and fostering an environment of administrative support and service to the research community.
The position will develop, refine, and implement policies and procedures to promote compliance with federal and state regulations governing the protection of human
research subjects also managing noncompliance. The successful candidate will act as a liaison with other research support units; such as the Conflict of Interest program, Clinical Research Operations, Sponsored Programs, Environmental Health and Safety, and Occupational Health and Safety; to facilitate compliance in research.
Responsibilities will also include establishing and implementing training programs to promote compliance with federal regulations and University policies associated with research subjects protection, maintaining accreditation of VCU’s human subjects (AAHRPP) research programs, work collaboratively with other essential components of the Human Research Protection Program to ensure continued accreditation, manage post-approval compliance monitoring and quality improvement and will represent VCU’s HRPP as a liaison with regulatory agencies, accrediting bodies, and funding agencies.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to exercise sound and consistent judgment within a defined process
- Familiarity with institutional and federal policies and procedures for conducting research is necessary
- Demonstrated effective communication skills for guiding research staff in the submission process, and the ability to clearly communicate requirements related to the mission of the office
- Candidate must possess a high level of verbal and written communication skills as well as experience in working with individuals from a variety of educational backgrounds. Candidate must also possess strong interpersonal skills and ability to diplomatically navigate complex and sensitive situations. This position requires firmness, yet flexibility, in identifying noncompliance and enforcing the ethical conduct of research.
- The candidate should have demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU.
Minimum hiring standards:
Advanced degree in a related field - Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a leadership position; Minimum of 5 years’ experience with human research compliance.
Preferred hiring standards:
Ph.D., M.D., or JD degree - Have obtained or ability to obtain the Certified IRB Professional designation
Apply at VCU jobs: https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/104010