The primary purpose of the Communications and Outreach Administrator is to improve organizational performance through communications related project identification, implementation, and management.
The Communications and Outreach Administrator is assigned to the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation. This position provides planning, development, and execution of a comprehensive outreach and engagement strategy supporting the mission of the Office. It includes all aspects of investigator outreach, communication and engagement, and speech writing. It promotes the work and outcomes of VCU faculty and their projects within the broader scientific community, policymakers, sponsors, the research community, university donors, the professional news media, social media, and the general public. Partnering with VCU University Relations, this position will also serve as the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation’s communication representative for national and local multi-institutional collaborations.
- Demonstrated excellence in scientific writing; clearly and accurately conveying complex scientific information for a variety of audiences including policy makers, investigators, content for web communication, and the general public
- Extensive knowledge of scientific and research concepts with a thorough understanding of federal, state, and University regulations governing research dissemination and University and sponsor policies for licensed and copyrighted discoveries and publications
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills are essential
- Ability to work in a diverse environment is required
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or communication-related discipline or equivalent comparable experience
- 6-8 years relevant experience; preferably with emphasis on research communication and community engagement