Public Relations Assistant, UR CTSI Center for Leading Innovation and Collaboration.
Supports communications efforts for the University of Rochester Clinical & Translational Science Institute (UR CTSI) by serving as the primary driver of a communications program for its Center for Leading Innovation and Collaboration (CLIC). Based within the UR CTSI, CLIC connects and supports the work of more than 50 academic medical centers that serve as research hubs for the Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSA) Program. The CTSA Program is a National Institutes of Health program created to speed the translation of scientific discoveries into treatments, drugs and devices that improve patient care and population health.
This person plays a pivotal role in helping CLIC to achieve key communications objectives:
- Raises awareness of the collective impact of the CTSA Program. The communications specialist works closely with communications professionals and researchers at CTSA Program hubs to increase visibility of their research, share ideas and best practices for promoting translational science, develop tools to support their communication efforts, and write impactful stories about CTSA Program successes to share nationally through digital and social media channels.
- Enhances visibility of CLIC programs and resources. The communications specialist works with CLIC leadership and staff – especially the CLIC web team – to develop and implement innovative strategies to communicate about CLIC initiatives, tools and resources. This individual contributes to the user experience of the CLIC website by creating web copy and supporting web design decisions.
The specialist is also part of the URMC communications team, receiving support and guidance from approximately 30 professional colleagues—especially the director of communications for the UR CTSI, which houses both the University of Rochester’s CTSA Program hub and the CLIC. As a fully integrated member of the UR CTSI communications team, the specialist also supports broader UR CTSI communication efforts.
- Outstanding writing, editing, oral communication, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated experience in project management and “short form” writing – newsletter stories, informational emails and web or social-media copy
- Self-starter; proven track-record for managing big projects; creative and well-organized
- Able to collaborate easily with faculty, staff, and colleagues at multiple institutions
- Knowledge/familiarity with graphic design, photography, visual media, digital media and web design is a plus
Bachelor's degree in Journalism or an area of Arts and Sciences that includes some writing experience; one year of experience in newspaper or magazine writing, either in broad subject areas or in a specialized field (physical sciences, social sciences, etc.); or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of experience in newswriting or magazine writing, either in broad subject areas or in a specialized field (physical sciences, social sciences, etc); or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in health care, higher education or scientific research environment is a plus; a passion for science and specifically biomedical research also a plus
To apply online, please visit https://www.rochester.edu/working/hr/jobs/ and search for job number 219236 or by description: Public Relations Assistant, CTSI Center for Leading Innovation and Collaboration.