Classification Title: Senior Application Developer (PIA3)
Department: School of Library and Information Science
Staff Type: Professional & Scientific
Type of Position: Specified term
Pay Grade: 5B | Comp Structures
Salary: $80,000 - $80,000
Percent Time: 100%
Location: Iowa City, IA
Responsible for the analysis, design, development and support of database-driven, standards-compliant websites and applications for the National Institutes of Health Center for Data to Health (CD2H) grant; and to direct and execute web development activities to enable effective communications between the application team. This is a 3 year specified term position that ends on June 30, 2022 with the possibility of renewal.
· Analyze the internal and external web needs of grant participants and the programs under its oversight for the long and short term, and lead the design and analysis.
· Partner with users to define functional/technical specifications and offer solutions.
· Develop functional/technical specifications and best practices for usability and accessibility.
· Design and build attractive, user-friendly, database-driven web sites to meet grant requirements as well as its departments/programs, utilizing one or more content management systems.
· Recommend and utilize tools, languages, technologies, techniques, and standards for projects; and develop new tools and techniques to leverage cloud platforms and to ensure accessibility.
· Develop specific web features or applications to address the needs of the CD2H team and its programs.
Support and Maintenance
· Review and analyze software defects.
· Troubleshoot/debug/identify malfunctioning systems.
· Provide on-call coverage for complex issues.
· Propose software maintenance procedures
· Implement software fixes.
· Monitor the performance, security, accessibility, and search engine visibility for the CD2H websites and its programs (including GitHub repositories).
· Provide oversight for web projects, developing a work plan and timelines; monitor progress and revise timeline, planning as needed.
· Document administrative procedures and the custom components created to meet specific needs of the CD2H and its programs.
· Identify business system solution requirements by analyzing work processes and operations; and researching, testing, and recommending new tools and technology.
· Serve as a functional expert for the translation of business practice into systems.
· Evaluate business and information systems functionality.
Leadership/Staff Management/Financial Responsibility
· Provide mentoring for staff and leadership on web projects.
· Train project personnel on updating and administering the content of their respective websites.
· Assist, train, and guide CD2H external collaborators as needed.
· Assist in developing ideas for presentation to the PIs and CD2H team members.
Please attach a resume and cover letter as part of the application process. Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. For questions or additional information, please contact Taneshafirstname.lastname@example.org:
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
· A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Management Information Systems, or a related discipline; or an equivalent combination of education and experience, is required.
· Demonstrated ability to function independently and to adapt to new technology at an extensive proficiency level is required.
· Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to effectively transmit, receive and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through appropriate communication methods and behaviors at a working proficiency level is required.
· Demonstrated working proficiency in the ability to work with variety of individuals and groups in a constructive manner while appreciating the unique contribution of diverse individuals (i.e. individuals from varied cultures, race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, and veteran status) is required.
· Working proficiency with web design best practices and methodologies is desirable. Proficiency with web/graphic design software such as Photoshop is highly desirable, as is experience with version control using GitHub.
· Extensive proficiency with organizational and project management skills is desirable.
· Knowledge of NIH policies, procedures and regulations is desirable.
Equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the application or interview process may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, (319) 335-2660or email@example.com. For jobs in UI Health care, please contact UI Health care Leave & Disability Administration at 319-356-7543.