The National Center for Data to Health’s National COVID Cohort Collaborative (N3C) Data Enclave houses the largest repository of COVID-19 data in the United States, with more than 4.5 million COVID+ patients.
The N3C Data Enclave contains harmonized clinical data provided by more than 70 contributing health care institutions and consists of more than 14 billion rows of clinical information. The N3C Data Enclave also includes a library of more than 40 external data sets that can be linked to the clinical data. In order to protect participant privacy, the data are de-identified and limited to aggregate counts and summary demographic information, with cell counts <20 not being displayed.
N3C recently launched the Public Health Browser, which provides snapshots of high-value health data for policy makers, investigators, and entrepreneurs to facilitate further research questions for better health outcomes.
With the launch of the Public Health Browser, aggregate summary data is now available for stakeholders to access sample sizes of relevant data cohorts without requesting access to the N3C Data Enclave, which can only be accessed through a secure cloud portal.
The ten dashboards that are currently available in the Public Health Browser include:
- Summary Data: a snapshot of all COVID+ patients in the N3C Data Enclave, including demographics, comorbidities, and vaccination counts.
- Pediatrics Summary Data: a snapshot of COVID+ patients under the age of 18 in the N3C Data Enclave, including demographics, comorbidities, and vaccination counts.
- Medications: a list of medications of interest and counts for the COVID+ patients in the N3C Data Enclave for each of the prescribed medications.
- Cumulative and Average COVID+ Cases: Daily and cumulative COVID+ patient counts in the N3C Data Enclave and seven-day rolling averages.
- COVID+ Reinfection: infection and reinfection data for COVID+ patients in the N3C Data Enclave.
- Regional Distribution of COVID+ Patients: incidence of COVID+ patients in the N3C Data Enclave over nine geographical regions.
- Diabetes Mellitus: a snapshot of pediatric and adult COVID+ patients in the N3C Data Enclave with Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 and Type 2.
- Smoking: a snapshot of all COVID+ patients in the N3C Data Enclave, aggregated by demographics, severity, and smoking status.
- Disease Snapshots: a snapshot of the COVID+ patients in the N3C Data Enclave with select comorbidities, including cancer, congestive heart failure, dementia, diabetes, diabetes with complications, HIV, hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH), liver disease (mild), liver disease (severe), metastasis, myocardial infarction, paralysis, peptic ulcer disease, peripheral vascular disease, pulmonary disease, renal disease, rheumatologic disease, and stroke.
- Cumulative Participant Data: provides the counts of the cumulative demographics data for all patients in the N3C Data Enclave. A downloadable spreadsheet is available.
There will be two to three dashboards added in the near future that will include snapshots of long COVID/post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 (PASC) infection, mortality, and possibly a reinfection time series.
N3C will continue to add new dashboards to the Public Health Browser as new data sets become available.